Sunday, March 13, 2011

Quotes of the Day

In the vast texture of constant overlaying sounds here, I will often hear random statements from people walking by the door or speaking to each other in the store. Other times people communicate what I consider profound, humorous, or otherwise interesting statements directly to me. I will attempt to add these as Quotes of the Day from now on. Here are some from recently that I will share.

One of the "guys" that has been a regular in these parts, getting hammered on any and everything for over ten years, was sitting on the exact corner of the building leaning with his pack. There was quite a drunken gathering along the masonic side with plenty of loud nonsense.
As I approached my door from inside to check the scene, I witnessed the previously mentioned guy stand up to leave as he muttered to himself in disgust...

"It's just stupid around here anymore."

I found this very humorous and ironic coming from him. My thought was; really, you're just seeing that now? And; You can't see how you contribute to that?
I even thought for a moment that maybe I had witnessed a life changing epiphany and that maybe the next time I would ever see him would be years later in a suit or fancy car, exuding success.
No , he is outside now same as ever again.


Another quote that caught my attention was from a woman passing by. In a bit of a southern accent she said to whom I assume was her husband ...

"I get the feeling they don't like Texas around here , are you getting that?"



One more quote that impacted me was from my sixteen year old son who was working with me last Saturday night when a woman was struck by a car while riding her bike. He has just earned his driver license. After witnessing the woman being moved into the ambulance and hearing her soul splitting screams of pain, he approached me looking kind of white and said;

"That had more of an effect on me than all of the movies that we watched in drivers ed."











No comments:

Post a Comment