Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Return

Skipping ahead many stories in hopes of showing the relevance of the one I have started, I will resume at the time shortly after arriving in my van to San Francisco in December of 1986. I brought with me two friends , Andy and Marshall from Connecticut.
We were here after a long journey and we wanted to find local herbs. Fred L. had stayed here from last year and had kept in touch with Rebel.
Rebel was now living in a large third floor flat in a different neighborhood with two roommates, Keith and Rick. When the soon to be New Years shows had passed most of who I knew had gone back to where they came from. I found myself one January evening hanging out at Rebels place discussing my reality. Rebel and his roommates elected to let me use their stairwell room off the back of the kitchen to do my tie dyes in. I slept in my van at night in front of their flat for months and only drove it around the block once a week to avoid the street cleaning ticket.My van at that time was needing some repair after a long road trip.

Rebel gave me a key. I would go in after all three of them had left for work to do my dyes and have a place to be. In return I chose to keep clean for all, the kitchen and the bathroom. Two areas that were suffering from previous neglect.

So for those of you still with me, here's the kicker!
Rebel at this time was living at 1153 Masonic, two doors from here. His roommate, Rick, is the same Rick that is my business partner here for eighteen years now, twenty five years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment